Skip to main content

Frenchay 10K Race Report

Hi everyone!

As I am not currently writing my blog at the moment (Please see previous blog entry) but I thought I would keep in touch by writing a couple of race reports. So her goes my first attempt at doing just that!

On a chilly Sunday morning on the 28th April I took part in the Frenchay 10K and for those of you that don't work in kilometers like me its a 6 mile race. Why are shorted races in kilometers?, I don't know and one day I shall remember to look it up! According to their website Frenchay 10K was one of the first 10K events ever set up in this country in 1980! It was set up to raise money for local charities and today was the 39th time is has been held. The event set up was pretty good, the race HQ was on the Glenside UWE campus. There was plenty of onsite parking (which is unusual) and off site parking in the near by housing estate where we parked. Inside race HQ there was plenty of room for all the runners to prepare. We hadn't signed up online before hand so we arrived pretty early (an hour before the race started) to register. This process was very well organised and quick, within approximately 2 minutes we had paid our entry fee of £20 and had our race numbers. As this was such an easy process we had a bit of time on our hands but the organizers had this covered as well, we found a seat and watched a bit of the London marathon. I want to say a massive out out to all the marathon runners and especially the ones that ran it to raise money for Jessie May. When it was time to head out to the start line a very nice gentleman ushered us all out in the right direction. Once outside we found our way to where we were going to start, there was very handy signs with predicted finish times. This was so you could make sure you were running with other people of the same pace and not getting in each others way during the race. We weren't hanging around long before the race was started and off we went!

Below I have posted a video using an app call Relive, this shows you the route of the Frenchay 10K





I have to admit this was one of the most brutal but beautiful 10K races that I can ever remember taking part in. The scenery along the root was amazing, we went through Snuff Mills, up to Vassals park and back down through Frenchay village. Now any of you that knows this area will have realised that these areas do have big hills in them. In total there was three big hills in this race, one going up from Snuff Mills into Vassals park, the second was when we were going up into Frenchay and finally and I personally think the hardest hill of the three, Blackberry hill. This last hill was big but it was also on the final bit of the race, we had to run up Blackberry hill to get to the finish line which has got to be the hardest finish of any race I have ever completed. My plan of action for this race was to keep a nice disciplined pace throughout and when I got to the hills (which I had been warned about) I kept my head down and just kept pumping my legs. The plan was pretty simple but I believe it worked very well, I finished in a time of 48 minutes and 50 seconds. This time meant that I was 141st out of 508 finishers. The figure got even better when I looked at where i came in my age category, I finished in 68th position. Once you cross the line there is no medal or T-shirt like in many other races, this event give you a nice commemorative mug. Now normally I am all about the race bling but it was nice to get a different type of prize. 

 
Overall I was very impressed with this event, the parking was good, the organisation of all runners was good and the course was beautiful although brutal in places. I would recommend Frenchay 10K as a must do race but make sure you are prepared for the hills! I will be back next year on the 40th anniversary of the race.

Take care!

Steve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 minutes of fame......well 2 minutes

This week Bristol TV came to interview me about my 24 hour running challenge, the experience was a positive one. Although, having to slowly do my shoe lace up, pretend to have a conversation and drink from a water bottle are all things that become incredible hard when there is a camera filming you. It is safe to say a career in TV is not for me! I have posted the link here so you can have a watch. The main thing is that they have help spread the word about my campaign and I am very grateful to them, hopefully we can work with them after I have completed my 24 hour running challenge to provide an update on how it went. More donations have come in this week, thank you again to everyone that has donated. If you haven't yet donated please follow the link here to my Virgin Money Giving page, honestly even a pound will help as it all goes to the charity Jessie May who provide respite and bereavement support to families of children who are terminally ill.   Tuesday 19th February   

A Week of Struggles

Hi everyone! Explains it all! Hope you are all well and had a good week since you last read this blog. Talking of readers we are back down to normal numbers for readers this week and i think it was 74 at the time of writing this. The week before ended up with 344 readers but i have no reason why. I want to say thank you to everyone that read this blog and give me a shout if you have any comments as i do keep an eye out for them on the Jessie May Facebook page.  Lets get on to talking about the amount we have raised for Jessie May so far, the total stands at £797 which is amazing and i am so thankful to everyone that has donated. This is 26% of the target of £3000. I'm not sure i have mentioned why we chose this target so i will explain. Its quite simple really, £3000 is the cost of running Jessie May for 1 day and hence The Difference a Day Makes title for this challenge. So putting that into perspective so far we have raised enough money to run the charity for just over 2