Skip to main content

Snow Hits Bristol

It's been a week of cold weather and a flurry of snow overnight on Thursday night into Friday morning. This made training on Saturday and Sunday interesting! This week I have been using my foam roller a lot more because my calf muscles have been so sore due to delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Using a foam roller is a cheaper way of having a deep tissue massage and helps to break up adhesion's, scar tissue and speeds up the healing and recovery process. If you have ever used a foam roller you will know it is the best and worst feeling in the world but it definitely helps me.

Tuesday 29th January    
It was 6 am start today, the weather was horrible, not to cold but drizzling. Another dose of Fartlek training this morning, 10 sets of 30 second sprints with 2 minute breaks in between. I ran 4.76 miles at an average pace of 10.05 minute/miles. Entertainment today was the Infinite Monkey Cage podcast, they were asking are humans still evolving? after a long complicated podcast the simple answer is yes. My calf muscles were so sore with DOMS today so another session on the foam roller was needed.
Thursday 31st January 
It was VERY cold this morning, -3! it was threshold training today, this means that you run at a reasonable pace and then push to your max over a certain length of time. I did 3 sets of 8 minutes at my threshold pace with 2 minute recovery in between. I covered 5.22 miles in 50 minutes at an average pace of 9.35 minute/mile. I struggled with a stitch throughout my run but my calf muscles felt a lot better which shows the foam rolling is doing something. I have found a new podcast to listen to, it is called David Tennant does a podcast with.... this week he was talking with Olivia Coleman. If any of you have taken to listen to podcasts then you should add this one to your library.  

Saturday 2nd February  
Due to the snow on Friday and by today mainly ice, all the local Parkruns have been cancelled :( I still wanted to get out and run at least a few miles, so i strapped James (My little boy) into the running pram and off we went to see how far we could get in what I can only describe as challenging conditions. Most of the pavements were clear but there were a few tricky sections. James enjoyed pointing out every patch of snow (Which there was a lot) along the way, this was cute to start with but after a while did get a bit tedious. I think even he got board of all the snow as he fell asleep about half way through the run. The total distance that myself and James covered was 5.34 miles in 54.57 minutes. That works out as 10.17 minute/miles, I don't think is bad for the conditions and a pram! 

Sunday 3rd February
The training plan I am following said that it was a 10 mile run today. Conditions under foot weren't much better than yesterday but I got my running gear on and myself and my dad headed out down the cycle track. I felt rough for the first couple of miles, I realised that all I had given my body for fuel this morning was a cup of tea and a Eat Natural cashew and blueberry yogurt bar. No entertainment today as me and dad normally chat during a run but today there wasn't much chat going on. This was because we had to concentrate on every step to make sure we didn't fall over. No talking meant that my mind could wonder and due to not eating much this morning my mind soon turned to food! All I could think about was porridge and what fruit I would have in it (Weird i know). This went on for a good half an hour. Nutrition is a part of my training were I really need to make improvements. 10 miles completed in 1 hour and 47 minutes, 10.44 minute/miles. 

Next week Jessie May are launching my The Difference A Day Makes campaign so hopefully the sponsorship will start to come in, please take a look at my Virgin Money Giving page. 

Hope you have a good week, take care

Steve    










   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wind, rain and an app, oh and of course some running!

This week we launched my campaign which is called The Difference a Day Makes. I can not believe the interest it has already attracted, I have booked in to be on Bradley Stoke radio, there has been an article published in the Bristol Evening Post, Bristol TV want to film an interview with me and lots of you have started to donate. I would like to thank each and every person that has donated. I am away on holiday  in Bude writing this and having to use my phone as the laptop can't connect to the internet on the resort that I am staying in.  Tuesday 5th February  Today was a interval training morning, I ran for 55 minutes and covered 5.66 mile at 9.43 minutes/mile. I struggle alot with runners belly (I will let you look that one up for yourselves!) When I do interval or sprint training and this morning was no difference. If anyone has a way of stopping this please leave a comment and let me know. I was listening to one of my podcast today and I have come up with an idea for a new a

15 minutes of fame......well 2 minutes

This week Bristol TV came to interview me about my 24 hour running challenge, the experience was a positive one. Although, having to slowly do my shoe lace up, pretend to have a conversation and drink from a water bottle are all things that become incredible hard when there is a camera filming you. It is safe to say a career in TV is not for me! I have posted the link here so you can have a watch. The main thing is that they have help spread the word about my campaign and I am very grateful to them, hopefully we can work with them after I have completed my 24 hour running challenge to provide an update on how it went. More donations have come in this week, thank you again to everyone that has donated. If you haven't yet donated please follow the link here to my Virgin Money Giving page, honestly even a pound will help as it all goes to the charity Jessie May who provide respite and bereavement support to families of children who are terminally ill.   Tuesday 19th February   

It's almost here and Introducing Georgia

Hi everyone! hope you are all well? Sorry that I have not posted in a while but My family have been through an extremely tough time but don't worry I shall be on that start line in 9 days. This will be my last post before the run and I can't believe how fast this has come around but there is no going back now. I  need to get my butt in gear and start packing my stuff. I will be sending out reminders on my Instagram all next week but just so you are all aware I will be doing a little video after every lap on my Instagram story to keep you all up to date with my progress and how I am feeling. If you don't current follow me on Instagram please search jm_running_nurse and hit the follow button.     Donations over the last week or so has been slowly coming in, The Difference a Day Makes fundraiser total now stands at £1438.44. We are 47% of the way to are target of £3000, it would be amazing to make it to 50% before I start my run. You can do your bit to help me by sha