Skip to main content

A late Blog, A Wedding and 20 miles

Hi All,

Hope everyone has had a good week? Sorry that I am late in getting this out to you but life just got in the way this weekend, in a good way 😀 I am currently trying to write this whilst watching England play footie, listen to how my wife's day has been and eat my tea all at the same time!
So last week I wanted to try to reach 100 readers for this blog. The total number of readers for last weeks blog was 92, Guys we were so close!!!! Welcome to the new readers and don't forget to go back and check out previous installments. I have been keeping a cheeky eye on how many times the post gets shared from the Jessie May Facebook page and if i'm honest it isn't very much and we are still reaching numbers in the 90's. Think of the numbers we could get this to if even half of you shared the post on your wall and on other social media. Please this week can I ask that after reading you share this blog on your news feed for friends and family to read. It literally takes seconds to do but could lead to more donations to Jessie May and more money to go towards providing respite and bereavement support to families with children who have a terminal illness.Talking of donations this week the total raised stands at £732 which is 24% of my total target. Thank you to everyone that has donated and we are another step closer to hitting that big £3000 target. To donate please click here.
This week has been an interesting one, first of all I have again been able to speak to more people that I would not normally get the chance to and one stands out in particular. This lady posted on my Instagram (jm_running_nurse, give me a follow 😁) ironically she was recommending that I read someone else's training blog. I did read this blog but then I realised she had a blog as well. I have found out that her name was Charlotte and she is also raising money for Jessie May by doing a 311 mile bike ride from London to Paris. Now  I cycle but not anywhere near that far and to me this challenge is truly inspirational. please check Charlotte's blog out here.
Can you spot a familiar face?

Before I get onto talking about running I just want to mention one of the Jessie May nurses who got married this week and you might recognize her. She is also called Charlotte and I want to say a massive congratulations to her and her Husband Luke. I have her permission to share a group photo of some of the Jessie May team in their glad rags, you might spot a few familiar faces in this picture. 

Right back to the running!

                                                Tuesday 19th March
Just to keep me on my toes the training plan has flip it around and this week Tuesday was a recovery run and my legs differently needed it after the sub 2 hour half marathon on Sunday. Since the mornings are now lighter there are so many people out running in the mornings, when I started this there never use to be anyone about. I ran 4.33 miles in 40 minutes at an average pace of 9.14 minute/miles. I started to listen to the David Tennant podcast as he had Catherine Tate on it this week, I say started as the battery ran out on my headphones early in the run. 


Thursday 21st March
I got to admit that this mornings run felt so boring! it was a threshold run, the plan was a 5 minute warm up, 10 minutes easy run, 10 minute at threshold pace, 10 minute easy run and then a 10 minute cool down. I felt really good and my legs felt strong but a little tight when I was pushing hard. I finished off listening to Catherine Tate on the David Tennant podcast, it was really funny! during this run I covered 4.89 miles in 45 minutes at an average pace of 9.19 minute/miles. Now it might seem funny that on a run that I was pushing I have a slower average pace than the recovery run. This is because during the other sections of the run I was going pretty slow therefore bringing my average pace down.

                                                Saturday 23rd March
Sundays 20 mile route
No Parkrun today, this is because I was at the wedding on Friday evening and stayed overnight outside of Bristol. This meant I wasn't back in time for Parkrun and due to going out on Sunday I was doing the 20 mile run this afternoon. So as we all know my nutrition before runs isn't the best. I had a few apple juices at the wedding as well as a full English breakfast this morning. I was going to be starting the run from my mum and dads house, when I was waiting for him to come home I fell asleep and had a little nap. This meant that when I woke up I had no motivation to go for a run but I knew I had to. This 20 mile run was going to be the first time that I had worn compression sleeves on my calf muscles, these will hopefully stop the soreness I get in them after a long run. So off we went down the cycle track towards town, we decided to add some extra miles on by going down the Portway. On our way back at about 13 miles dad started to get really bad cramp in his left calf. He was really struggling and having to walk at times. Now I did what every son who runs with his dad would do when faced with this situation............ I left him behind! not without taking a had full of Wines Gums for energy first. What can I say apart from I would expect him to do exactly the same if the roles were reversed. I completed 20 miles in 3 hours and 38 minutes, my legs felt strong and I fell the compression did work, we will have to wait until tomorrow to confirm this. My average pace was 10.54 minute/miles, this is slightly slower than I thought we would run but we have another 20 mile run this weekend so we will improve on that. Dad completed his 20 miles in 4 hours and 9 minutes, he did really well and should great determination to push through and finish!

So the reason I didn't run on Sunday was because I was going out for a Sunday lunch at The Botanist Bath. We were going here as staff at Jessie May had been invited to try out the new restaurant. We had a lovely Sunday lunch and the Lamb I had was really good, the waiter did give a few giggles as he was clearly new to this type of work but overall I would recommend a visit there. If you do go there to eat or have a drink you will be helping raise money for Jessie May as a percentage of the food and drink price is going to be donated. To book a table and see there menu please click here

It is just over a month until I will be running a marathon in preparation for my 24 hour challenge, my legs are feeling strong and i want to share with you that I want to try and run a sub 4 hour 30 minute marathon. I will keep you updated!

Don't forget to pop back to Facebook now and share this on you wall! remember it literally takes seconds. also this week I will be on Bradley stoke radio on Friday morning on their charity hour, please click here to go to their website and listen to me. I got to admit I am a bit nervous about this as it is live but it is an excellent opportunity to raise awareness of the great work Jessie May does.  

Take care everyone and have a good week

Steve   








      






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wind, rain and an app, oh and of course some running!

This week we launched my campaign which is called The Difference a Day Makes. I can not believe the interest it has already attracted, I have booked in to be on Bradley Stoke radio, there has been an article published in the Bristol Evening Post, Bristol TV want to film an interview with me and lots of you have started to donate. I would like to thank each and every person that has donated. I am away on holiday  in Bude writing this and having to use my phone as the laptop can't connect to the internet on the resort that I am staying in.  Tuesday 5th February  Today was a interval training morning, I ran for 55 minutes and covered 5.66 mile at 9.43 minutes/mile. I struggle alot with runners belly (I will let you look that one up for yourselves!) When I do interval or sprint training and this morning was no difference. If anyone has a way of stopping this please leave a comment and let me know. I was listening to one of my podcast today and I have come up with an idea for a new a

15 minutes of fame......well 2 minutes

This week Bristol TV came to interview me about my 24 hour running challenge, the experience was a positive one. Although, having to slowly do my shoe lace up, pretend to have a conversation and drink from a water bottle are all things that become incredible hard when there is a camera filming you. It is safe to say a career in TV is not for me! I have posted the link here so you can have a watch. The main thing is that they have help spread the word about my campaign and I am very grateful to them, hopefully we can work with them after I have completed my 24 hour running challenge to provide an update on how it went. More donations have come in this week, thank you again to everyone that has donated. If you haven't yet donated please follow the link here to my Virgin Money Giving page, honestly even a pound will help as it all goes to the charity Jessie May who provide respite and bereavement support to families of children who are terminally ill.   Tuesday 19th February   

It's almost here and Introducing Georgia

Hi everyone! hope you are all well? Sorry that I have not posted in a while but My family have been through an extremely tough time but don't worry I shall be on that start line in 9 days. This will be my last post before the run and I can't believe how fast this has come around but there is no going back now. I  need to get my butt in gear and start packing my stuff. I will be sending out reminders on my Instagram all next week but just so you are all aware I will be doing a little video after every lap on my Instagram story to keep you all up to date with my progress and how I am feeling. If you don't current follow me on Instagram please search jm_running_nurse and hit the follow button.     Donations over the last week or so has been slowly coming in, The Difference a Day Makes fundraiser total now stands at £1438.44. We are 47% of the way to are target of £3000, it would be amazing to make it to 50% before I start my run. You can do your bit to help me by sha