Skip to main content

Mental battles and a hen do!

Hi all, 

I hope you are all well, this week has been a hard week of training mainly because I have found it hard to get out there and run. I have had a couple of big mental battles with myself this week and I am happy to say I have managed to win them. We don't always want to get out there and run but you have to remember why you are running in the first place. It could be for charity, it could be to improve your health or it could be just because you enjoy it (not sure how many people fit into this category). We all face these mental battles when we are training but if we can win them, get those miles in your legs, you will feel so much better for it after, I certainly do. If you don't manage to get out there, that's ok as well. If this happens to me I always try to remember the miles I haven't managed to run and add them to my next week of training. 

Donations have been coming in again this week, The Difference a Day Makes campaign total stands at £452. This is absolutely amazing as it has only been live for one month. We are 15% there to reaching our aim of £3000, please if you feel you can donate visit the link I have put here. I am so grateful to everyone that has donated but we still have a long way to go. Please help spread the word about The Difference a Day Makes campaign, I have added the link to the Jessie May page that explains why I have taken this challenge on, pleas click here. Tell your colleagues, friends and family because every £1 we raise makes a difference and helps care for children who are terminally ill. We have had more local media coverage this week with articles in Bradley Stoke Matters and the Bradley Stoke Journal. Thank you to all the local media who have published an article about my challenge. 

                                          Tuesday 26th February 
Looking like a bank robbery
on a cold morning
This morning was a bit chilly at 3 degrees but the sky looked beautiful. The plan for this mornings run is a 10 minute warm up followed by 15 minutes at a study pace and then a final 10 minutes to cool down. My legs were in good shape after Sundays 14 mile run, I had no pain at all. I enjoyed the 10 warm up section of the run and due to my legs feeling ok for the 15 minute section I naturally went for it like a bat out of hell!! (Yep I did just use a Meatloaf reference 😀) when my legs are feeling good I just can't seem to help myself. I covered a distance of 4.11 miles at an average pace of 8.31 minute/miles. 

Thursday 28th February
This morning was the biggest mental battle I have had with myself so far during training. I woke up at 6 am and just didn't want to get out of bed. I reminded myself why I was doing this and there was also a 100 mile total for the month to go out and achieve. Once I had got out there I still wasn't feeling to motivated, I didn't want to listen to any of the pod casts that I normally like and I changed my music playlist 4 times during the run. I just couldn't get into my normal rhythm. I ran for an hour, covered 6.39 miles at an average ace of 9.24 minute/miles. I was glad I could battle on through as I manged to reach the milestone of 101 miles in February. 

                                                Saturday 1st March
Parkrun Day!!!!! it has been a while since I last got to Parkrun and today was my 43rd. I ran it with my little boy in his running pram, We went to Eastville park this morning. We finished in 183rd position and ran it in a time of 27 minutes 07 seconds. It can be hard running with a pram, especially at a busy Parkrun as you need to start from near the back and spend most of the first lap dodging in and out of people to get a clear gap and settle into your pace. I still love running it with my little boy and we do spend most of the run saying hello to the dogs that are also running and at Eastville park we have to say hello to all the ducks and swans as we go around the pound.

Sunday 2nd March 
So today was another setup in millage, 16 miles was the aim for today. Dad again was joining me on this run. I have to admit this morning was another mental battle and it was all my own fault. I had another late night this week but I only had a couple of lemonades this time. It was one of the nurses at Jessie May's hen do. You read that right I went on a hen do and I loved it, I must say it was very sophisticated but that suits the nurse in question down to the ground. Right back to the running before a say to much 😆. We got to about 3.5 miles when dad started to struggle a bit and he was getting dizzy spells. We walked for a bit and then I made him sit down as his dizziness was getting worse. We both agreed that it was best that he doesn't carry on (Even tho I know he would have if I had let him). So we both walked to Morrisons (We were running down the cycle track, so it was on the way). So dad safely deposited in Morrisons, my mum and little boy were on the way to rescue him and take him home, I headed on. To start with this was a bit tough as I don't like running long distances on my own and all that I had to listen to was the water sloshing around in my camel pack. Even tho I was gutted not to have dad with me it was a good run, I headed all the way down the cycle track into town, round the harbour front and back out to the ring road through Stapleton village. I ran 16 miles in 2 hours 43 minutes 28 seconds. My average pace was 10.14 minute/miles. I'm happy to say that dad was fine once he had got home and had a good old English cuppa. We think that it was just a missed timing of taking his tablets this morning and he is going to make up the miles next week. I am happy with how my run went and as I write this on Sunday evening my legs feel good, I am going to use my foam roller to make sure I don't end up with to much DOMS tomorrow after posting this. 

You can follow all my runs during the week in the usual places, Instagram and Strava.

Hope you all have a good week, take care 

Steve  

    
















      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wind, rain and an app, oh and of course some running!

This week we launched my campaign which is called The Difference a Day Makes. I can not believe the interest it has already attracted, I have booked in to be on Bradley Stoke radio, there has been an article published in the Bristol Evening Post, Bristol TV want to film an interview with me and lots of you have started to donate. I would like to thank each and every person that has donated. I am away on holiday  in Bude writing this and having to use my phone as the laptop can't connect to the internet on the resort that I am staying in.  Tuesday 5th February  Today was a interval training morning, I ran for 55 minutes and covered 5.66 mile at 9.43 minutes/mile. I struggle alot with runners belly (I will let you look that one up for yourselves!) When I do interval or sprint training and this morning was no difference. If anyone has a way of stopping this please leave a comment and let me know. I was listening to one of my podcast today and I have come up with an idea for a new a

15 minutes of fame......well 2 minutes

This week Bristol TV came to interview me about my 24 hour running challenge, the experience was a positive one. Although, having to slowly do my shoe lace up, pretend to have a conversation and drink from a water bottle are all things that become incredible hard when there is a camera filming you. It is safe to say a career in TV is not for me! I have posted the link here so you can have a watch. The main thing is that they have help spread the word about my campaign and I am very grateful to them, hopefully we can work with them after I have completed my 24 hour running challenge to provide an update on how it went. More donations have come in this week, thank you again to everyone that has donated. If you haven't yet donated please follow the link here to my Virgin Money Giving page, honestly even a pound will help as it all goes to the charity Jessie May who provide respite and bereavement support to families of children who are terminally ill.   Tuesday 19th February   

It's almost here and Introducing Georgia

Hi everyone! hope you are all well? Sorry that I have not posted in a while but My family have been through an extremely tough time but don't worry I shall be on that start line in 9 days. This will be my last post before the run and I can't believe how fast this has come around but there is no going back now. I  need to get my butt in gear and start packing my stuff. I will be sending out reminders on my Instagram all next week but just so you are all aware I will be doing a little video after every lap on my Instagram story to keep you all up to date with my progress and how I am feeling. If you don't current follow me on Instagram please search jm_running_nurse and hit the follow button.     Donations over the last week or so has been slowly coming in, The Difference a Day Makes fundraiser total now stands at £1438.44. We are 47% of the way to are target of £3000, it would be amazing to make it to 50% before I start my run. You can do your bit to help me by sha