Skip to main content

A Week of Struggles

Hi everyone!
Explains it all!

Hope you are all well and had a good week since you last read this blog. Talking of readers we are back down to normal numbers for readers this week and i think it was 74 at the time of writing this. The week before ended up with 344 readers but i have no reason why. I want to say thank you to everyone that read this blog and give me a shout if you have any comments as i do keep an eye out for them on the Jessie May Facebook page. 

Lets get on to talking about the amount we have raised for Jessie May so far, the total stands at £797 which is amazing and i am so thankful to everyone that has donated. This is 26% of the target of £3000. I'm not sure i have mentioned why we chose this target so i will explain. Its quite simple really, £3000 is the cost of running Jessie May for 1 day and hence The Difference a Day Makes title for this challenge. So putting that into perspective so far we have raised enough money to run the charity for just over 2 hours! (I worked this out on the office hours being 9 - 5 but we do still visit children past 5 pm) We have a long way to go to cover the cost but i am confident that we can spread the word, get the donations in and reach that target. 

To donate please click here  

                                       Tuesday 2nd April
Well this was the first run during British summer time but the weather was far from summer. It was chilly and drizzling out this morning, also dark again which is fine by me. One thing I did notice was that there was barely anyone out running, I think I recall seeing one other runner. Last week when it was light and warm I saw about 20 to 30 people out running at 6 am. My legs this morning were so sore from Sundays run, strangely it's my quads that are causing me the most pain which isn't usual for me. It was a 35 minute recovery run today and I ran 3.47 miles at an average pace of 10.05 minute/miles. This was the same as my pace on Sunday but that was only due to me not being able to run any faster even if I tried.

Thursday 4th April
My alarm went off at 6 am and I was in no mood to get out of bed. I lay in bed for at least 10 minutes coming up with all sorts of excuses why I shouldn't or couldn't run. These excuses ranged from I just couldn't be bothered to my body needs to rest. In the end I found myself getting ready to go out and do my interval training session. When i left the house I still wasn't in a very good mood and I certainly wasn't feeling very motivated. Today's intervals were 8 sets of 3 minutes of running at a fast pace with 2 minutes gentle jog in between each set as a "rest". It was raining and cold out so this only added to my bad mood, I completed what I had to do and headed for home looking like a drowned rat. I ran for a total of 59 minutes (I couldn't be bothered to do the last minute of the warm down), I covered 6.62 miles at an average pace of 8.54 minute/miles.
I guess what I'm trying to show to you all here is the reality of training, some days are just hard and you have to try and find that little bit of energy or positive thought to get up and get out there. I'm sure I didn't put 100% into this session but it is better that I got out there than led in bed doing nothing. You must remember tho if your body really does need that rest and is shouting for it you have to listen, I knew deep down I was ok to go running this morning and it was just another reason I tried to use to convince myself I wasn't.

Sunday 7th April
Well it finally happened, a VERY bad run! 
We set out at 9 am with the aim of completing 22 miles, the last long run before I complete the Newport Marathon. Dad was on his bike as he still isn't back to full fitness and I was running. Everything was ticking along well, I was averaging 9.36 minute/miles, the sun was out and everything was gravy. I even got my first honk of a horn and a wave of encouragement!. I did wave back but I am sorry I didn't see who it was. If you are reading this and it was you thank you! I was eating up the miles and then at 16 miles BANG!.......... there it was, it arrived earlier than expected but I had well and truly run straight into the wall. I pushed on for another mile or so but I was well and truly in survival mode now. In the end I was running for 4 lamp posts and walking for 2. All the time in my head I was thinking i have to get to the end at any cost. I don't mind admitting to you guys that I had the worse run I have had for a very long time but having to come back and tell you I failed was not going to happen! I completed 22 miles in 3 hours and 45 minutes at an average pace of 10.16 minute/miles. Now I know some of you will say that isn't a bad time but I really was on the ropes today and I'm glad I got through it. The picture with this section was taking seconds after I finished and it was a good 5 minutes before I could get up. Below is a video of the route we took, hopefully it works as this is the first time I have used the app or uploaded a video on the blog. Can you guys let me know if it doesn't work by commenting either on this blog or on the link on the Jessie May Facebook page, thank you. 




The miles start to drop from next week as I head towards the marathon in early May , I am not going to lie I feel like I need the miles to drop down and hopefully my legs can recover whilst I keep my fitness up. Thanks again for sticking with me on this journey, we still have a long way to go but we are getting there! To hear more from me (As if you can't get enough already!) I have an Instagram page where I post not only about running but other things going on in my life. Please check it out by searching jm_running_nurse and give me a follow. Please also share this blog and my Instagram with friends and family. You never know by you sharing this blog it could lead to a donation and there for moving us closer to paying for 1 day of Jessie May.

I hope you all have a good week, take care 

Steve   




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wind, rain and an app, oh and of course some running!

This week we launched my campaign which is called The Difference a Day Makes. I can not believe the interest it has already attracted, I have booked in to be on Bradley Stoke radio, there has been an article published in the Bristol Evening Post, Bristol TV want to film an interview with me and lots of you have started to donate. I would like to thank each and every person that has donated. I am away on holiday  in Bude writing this and having to use my phone as the laptop can't connect to the internet on the resort that I am staying in.  Tuesday 5th February  Today was a interval training morning, I ran for 55 minutes and covered 5.66 mile at 9.43 minutes/mile. I struggle alot with runners belly (I will let you look that one up for yourselves!) When I do interval or sprint training and this morning was no difference. If anyone has a way of stopping this please leave a comment and let me know. I was listening to one of my podcast today and I have come up with an idea for a new a

15 minutes of fame......well 2 minutes

This week Bristol TV came to interview me about my 24 hour running challenge, the experience was a positive one. Although, having to slowly do my shoe lace up, pretend to have a conversation and drink from a water bottle are all things that become incredible hard when there is a camera filming you. It is safe to say a career in TV is not for me! I have posted the link here so you can have a watch. The main thing is that they have help spread the word about my campaign and I am very grateful to them, hopefully we can work with them after I have completed my 24 hour running challenge to provide an update on how it went. More donations have come in this week, thank you again to everyone that has donated. If you haven't yet donated please follow the link here to my Virgin Money Giving page, honestly even a pound will help as it all goes to the charity Jessie May who provide respite and bereavement support to families of children who are terminally ill.   Tuesday 19th February   

It's almost here and Introducing Georgia

Hi everyone! hope you are all well? Sorry that I have not posted in a while but My family have been through an extremely tough time but don't worry I shall be on that start line in 9 days. This will be my last post before the run and I can't believe how fast this has come around but there is no going back now. I  need to get my butt in gear and start packing my stuff. I will be sending out reminders on my Instagram all next week but just so you are all aware I will be doing a little video after every lap on my Instagram story to keep you all up to date with my progress and how I am feeling. If you don't current follow me on Instagram please search jm_running_nurse and hit the follow button.     Donations over the last week or so has been slowly coming in, The Difference a Day Makes fundraiser total now stands at £1438.44. We are 47% of the way to are target of £3000, it would be amazing to make it to 50% before I start my run. You can do your bit to help me by sha