Skip to main content

Introducing Helen

Hi Everyone, hope you are all well ?!


It been a couple of weeks since my last post so lets bring you up to date. The Difference a Day Makes fundraiser is going well, the total has gone up since the last post and now stand at £1403! this is amazing and we are almost at 50% of the £3000 total, if you have already donated then I am so grateful and you are helping to make a real difference to the lives of children who have a life limiting condition that live in the local area. If you have yet to donate and feel you have a few pennies that you can give please follow the link here. Weather you donate or not you can still help me spread the word by talking about my challenge to friends, family and colleges. The more people we can get involved the more money we can raise for these children in your local area. I've got to say a massive shout out to Briony, you will know her from The Great British Bake Off. She has been amazing in helping spread the word about my 24 hour challenge by sharing my story on her Instagram with all of her lovely followers. Hopefully we can do a few more posts together in the future.  

Running wise I have been making good progress with my monthly total miles, in May I ran just over 100. This is less than some of my previous months but is still a good total. I am getting use to running loops of the same route, I have so far only done two. This is roughly 11.5 miles in total but I shall be stepping this up over the coming weeks to hopefully reach a total of four of five laps. I don't plan to run anymore than this and my thought process behind that is that I am running these laps a lot faster than I will be when I undertake my challenge in July. Hopefully I would have put enough miles in my legs! it is also very time consuming and with a little one I don't have enough time to practice a full 24 hours but five laps should take me about five hours in training. In other news I broke my course PB at Eastville Parkrun last week, my PB for that course now stands at 21 minutes and 36 seconds. It is over a minute slower than my Parkrun PB but anyone who has rung Eastville will know the hills are tough! The last week has been tough as i have been feeling so tired so I took last weekend off and rested up so hopefully I will be back on track this week. 

This week I am featuring Helen who has worked in the fundraising team at Jessie May for four and a half years. she has been helping me in behind the scenes with this challenge and you may have seen/heard her when we both made an appearance on Bradly Stoke Radio a few months ago. I must say a thank you to her and all of the fundraising team, you guys are all amazing! I have asked her most of the questions that I answered last week but I have changed a few as Helen is not a nurse but she is just as special to us all at Jessie May. I have also added a few extra questions at the end and will be keeping a score board on who gets the most questions correct. So with out further a do the questions below are all answered by Helen.

What did you want to be when you were younger?

Indiana Jones…Obviously. I graduated with a degree in archaeology, but unfortunately never made it to the temple of doom or anything other than damp Roman trenches in the UK. I was once told I would never make it as an archaeologist because I couldn’t grow a good enough beard…its not all bad though, as I wouldn’t have found Jessie May. I never thought of ever working for a charity, but I don’t regret it for a second. Every day I get to meet the best people in society, from our nurses and families to the incredible supporters and donors who enable us to do our jobs. Cant ask for more than that!

Tell me something interesting about yourself
In my spare time I volunteer with Avon and Somerset search and rescue. We assist the police in the search for high risk vulnerable missing people.  I can be called 24 hrs a day 7 days a week to head out into the woods, hills and countryside around Bristol. It’s incredibly rewarding even if I find myself traipsing through woods at night.

Do you have a claim to fame?

I was once the face of Ordnance Survey highlighting the importance of maps for keeping people safe and the use of maps in search and rescue.


Running….
I used to run, but I cant say I ever enjoyed it! Steve has inspired me to run again, so this morning I put my running shoes on for the first time in months. Steve is an inspiration.
The best race I’ve ever run was the Weston Christmas Cracker, there’s nothing like running a 10k along the seafront with an inflatable turkey running on one side of you and the angel Gabriel on the other. I’ve also run the Bristol 10k and completed a 10k stretcher carry race. I always get to the end of 10k and wonder how anyone ever runs any further. Huge respect to Steve for attempting 24 hrs!

If you didn't work at Jessie May, what would you be? - An archaeologist

What do you drink when your in the office? - tea, at least 8 cups!

What is your favorite food? - Susi

Where is your favorite place in the world? The Lake District

If you were a chocolate bar what would you be? Kinder Bueno


The final five question are all based around the Jessie May charity, i have done this to hopefully show you some facts about Jessie May and highlight what it takes for us to provide an amazing service to the local children. I have to admit it is fun watching the persons face who I'am asking these question to as they rally should know all the answers, they are all very competitive as well, they have not taken this lightly (😀 - My face when asking the questions, 😌 - There face when they are answering them).

What year was Jessie May set up as a charity? - April 1996

How many people work at Jessie May? - 39

What areas do Jessie May cover? - the old Avon county

How much does it cost a year to run Jessie May? - £1.5 million

There you have it that is Helen! and she got 4 out of the 5 questions about Jessie May correct.

I will be back soon with more about my running and the next person who will be featured is Georgia, one of the Jessie May nurses.

Take care

Steve 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wind, rain and an app, oh and of course some running!

This week we launched my campaign which is called The Difference a Day Makes. I can not believe the interest it has already attracted, I have booked in to be on Bradley Stoke radio, there has been an article published in the Bristol Evening Post, Bristol TV want to film an interview with me and lots of you have started to donate. I would like to thank each and every person that has donated. I am away on holiday  in Bude writing this and having to use my phone as the laptop can't connect to the internet on the resort that I am staying in.  Tuesday 5th February  Today was a interval training morning, I ran for 55 minutes and covered 5.66 mile at 9.43 minutes/mile. I struggle alot with runners belly (I will let you look that one up for yourselves!) When I do interval or sprint training and this morning was no difference. If anyone has a way of stopping this please leave a comment and let me know. I was listening to one of my podcast today and I have come up with an idea for a new a

15 minutes of fame......well 2 minutes

This week Bristol TV came to interview me about my 24 hour running challenge, the experience was a positive one. Although, having to slowly do my shoe lace up, pretend to have a conversation and drink from a water bottle are all things that become incredible hard when there is a camera filming you. It is safe to say a career in TV is not for me! I have posted the link here so you can have a watch. The main thing is that they have help spread the word about my campaign and I am very grateful to them, hopefully we can work with them after I have completed my 24 hour running challenge to provide an update on how it went. More donations have come in this week, thank you again to everyone that has donated. If you haven't yet donated please follow the link here to my Virgin Money Giving page, honestly even a pound will help as it all goes to the charity Jessie May who provide respite and bereavement support to families of children who are terminally ill.   Tuesday 19th February   

It's almost here and Introducing Georgia

Hi everyone! hope you are all well? Sorry that I have not posted in a while but My family have been through an extremely tough time but don't worry I shall be on that start line in 9 days. This will be my last post before the run and I can't believe how fast this has come around but there is no going back now. I  need to get my butt in gear and start packing my stuff. I will be sending out reminders on my Instagram all next week but just so you are all aware I will be doing a little video after every lap on my Instagram story to keep you all up to date with my progress and how I am feeling. If you don't current follow me on Instagram please search jm_running_nurse and hit the follow button.     Donations over the last week or so has been slowly coming in, The Difference a Day Makes fundraiser total now stands at £1438.44. We are 47% of the way to are target of £3000, it would be amazing to make it to 50% before I start my run. You can do your bit to help me by sha